On 11/26/2019 the new European directive on the protection of persons who report infringements of Union Law was published, it is also known as Directive Whistleblowing. Here you can see the detail. But What is the Whistleblowing Directive?
The basic summary of what is the Directive Whistleblowing / Whistleblowing Channel? is the following:
– Directive Whistleblowing It entered into force on December 17, 2019, and has a transposition period of two years, until 2021. That is, as of December 17, 2021, it is mandatory.
– It affects all organizations with 50 or more workers.
– The channel Whistleblowing / internal complaints It must allow complaints to be made in writing or verbally, by telephone or in person.
– A communication mechanism for the reception must be established within the established deadlines.
– The complaints channel must guarantee the confidentiality of the complainant.
– An impartial person or service must be designated to handle complaints.
– All complaints that are valid by national law must be processed.
– The maximum response time is 3 months.
Unlike previous regulations in other countries, the European Directive does not contemplate any type of incentive, beyond the anonymity of the complainant.
Although the rule applies to companies with 50 or more employees, the reporting channel must be public and employees, customers and suppliers may report it.
Therefore the key questions are:
- Who should implement the regulations? any organization with a minimum of 50 employees.
- When should it be implanted? before December 2021.
- How can we respond? implementing a market solution, with different levels of service depending on the need.
Don’t forget to trial our solution, ithikios, the whistleblowing saas channel.